Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Blog # 18: What a War it is Out There (reflections from my own tournament and the 2010 US Open)

As I watched Ferrer and Verdasco relentlessly go at one another for over four hours last night in the round of 16 before Verdasco fell to the floor in celebration after a ridiculous passing shot to win it, I couldn't help but sit in awe and amazement. This was after Stan the Man had taken down Querrey in a nearly five hour epic battle.

I could barely walk or get off the couch myself, because I had played my first ever adult tennis tournament at the 5.5 level. It was the Santa Monica tourni, and I won in the finals 6-3 7-6 (5) against an 18 year-old who ran every single ball down and could play forever. Me, about to turn 33, thought I was in pretty darn good shape, but you simply don't recover in your mid 30's like we did as kids.

Playing in my own tournament gave me a whole new appreciation for what these guys do. I only played 2 out of 3 sets, and by the end of the tournament I felt like I was going to pass out. These guys do it at a much, much higher level for 3 out of 5 in front of thousands of people.

Wow, is it hard out there. Wow, is it a war out there.

To think, Verdasco's reward is to play Rafa less than 48 hours later. Some gift. Some reward.

Playing in my own tournament also gave me an appreciation of just how gutsy you have to be on the big points, when it really really matters. The only reason I was able to pull out that tie-breaker in the finals was because I was simply more willing to go for it. Every ounce in my body wanted to play it safe and be more passive, but I realized I HAD to actually be MORE aggressive on the big points.

I had to play big man's tennis when it mattered most. That is what these guys do when the stakes are 1000 times higher. That takes guts. That takes courage.

That one-on-one battle for over four hours where they both leave their heart on the court is why I love tennis. That is why I consider it the greatest sport in the world.

And that is very much like our own lives. We need to be gutsy and take chances when we may want to be passive. We need to keep fighting when we are down and losing and want to quit. We need to be perseverant and heroic and always continue to battle. We need to COMPETE.

Ad OUT...

No comments:

Post a Comment