Thursday, September 2, 2010

Blog # 17: Defending Andy Roddick (sort of) from Critics

As I watched Roddick sadly go down to Tipsarevic last night and lose his cool at the poor lineswoman who called a foot fault against him, I couldn't help but feel for the guy. I also couldn’t help but get angry when sports fans who know next to nothing about tennis rip into him and call him a failure and disgrace to his sport.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am by no means excusing or defending his conduct last night; it was completely wrong of him to lay into that woman, and once again, he showed he has a very difficult time letting things go on the court. He acted poorly in the heat of the battle. But, that by no means takes away from the fact that he has been in the top 10 seven straight years, he has loyally and faithfully played Davis Cup for his country, he is a good ambassador to the game, he is funny, charming, and classy off the court, and when he messes up on the court, he admits it and apologizes.

We are all human. We all get carried away and say and do the wrong thing at times. I wish Roddick could be as classy as Federer or Rafa on the court, but let's not get carried away with bashing him. When I walked into work today at Brentwood School to teach my English course, several of my colleagues were lambasting him and scoffing at his career.

Do they know how hard it is to be in the top 10 seven straight years?

Do they know how many slams Roddick might have won were it not for Rafa and Roger? How frustrating that must be? I know that doesn’t excuse being a jerk on the court, but can we cut him a LITTLE slack?

Don't get me wrong, there have been three or four times where I have seen him behaving in a less than an ideal manner. But he has always been sincere in his remorse and apology afterwards. As humans, I think it is admirable to admit when we are wrong and try to make amends.

Now, Andy clearly is at a crossroads in his career and he needs to get back to playing AGRESSIVE tennis where he FLATTENS out a big forehand to hit WINNERS and not get into cute rallies with these guys.

But, let's not erase and defame a man's whole career and character based on a few bad moments on the court.

Aren't we bigger than that?

AD OUT...

1 comment:

  1. Here, here. I hope he gets to read your blog. I still like him.

    ReplyDelete